Grant Application Instructions for school year 2018-2019
Please read these instructions carefully. There are changes of which you should be aware. The on-line grant application will be available January 8, 2018 at 8am through April 3, 2018 at 11:59pm.
The Foundation for West Hartford Public Schools (FWHPS) provides grants to educators in the West Hartford Public Schools. Applications are submitted annually in late winter/early spring for projects that will take place the following school year. The deadline is Tuesday April 3, 2018, 11:59pm. Our mission is to provide support for educational projects and initiatives that directly benefit students and enhance the excellence of the West Hartford Public Schools community. Applications will be judged on their creativity and innovation as well as degree of support of the curriculum and impact on student learning. This is an opportunity for teachers to try out a new idea or enhance a portion of the curriculum that would not otherwise be possible due to lack of funds. For the 2017-2018 school year we awarded 75 grants to teachers throughout the district.
Description of Grants
Grants during this cycle will be awarded for projects that will take place in the 2018-2019 school year. Grants are awarded in two categories:
I. Teacher Mini-Grants
Teacher mini-grants of up to $2,000 are awarded to teachers for projects, programs, equipment, and supplies used in the classroom. We encourage you to apply for grants that enrich the curriculum. We will fund innovative uses of new or existing technologies, but it is not our intent to fund routine equipment purchases.
II. Professional-In-Residence Grants
Professional-in-Residence grants of up to $3,000 are awarded to bring professionals into the classroom to work with students to enrich the curriculum (not for professional development for teachers). Multi-grade and multi-school collaborations are particularly encouraged.
- The grant request must include the name of the professional-in-residence, contact information to include email, phone number & website (if available) and a complete description of the programs and activities.
- YOU MUST CONTACT THE PROFESSIONAL-IN-RESIDENCE BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION TO CONFIRM GENERAL AVAILABILITY AND PROFESSIONAL FEES
To view sample applications please click the links below.
- An Inside Look at the U.S. Prison System - Visiting the Women of York Correctional Institute
- eNable Prosthetic 3D Printed Hand Challenge
- Magnets, Electricity and Optics in the World Around Us
To view a list of In-Residence programs please click the link below.
- Prior to completing your application on-line, you must have your principal or department head read your grant proposal.
- Any person employed by the West Hartford Board of Education who holds Connecticut Department of Education certification and has direct contact with West Hartford students may apply for funding.
- Applicants may only apply for up to 3 grants.
Please be mindful of the following when writing your grant:
- Goals and objectives clearly defined and measurable.
- There must be a detailed project description. State activities that will take place and how they will be integrated into the curriculum.
- The timeline for the grant will be during the 2018-2019 school year including summer school continuing education programs in grades 7-12.
- The budget must be realistic, detailed and itemized and must include companies and quantities.
- Grants involved with living things, including plants or animals, must include plans for year round maintenance.
- State other sources for funding, if any, such as PTO. Please note: All additional sources of funding must be confirmed prior to submission of your application.
- In residence grants should include the name of the professional, contact information and a detailed description of the presenter’s activities.
- All book requests must include approximate number and type of books
Important General Information:
- Collaboration among teachers, departments, grade level, and schools is encouraged. (The more students who benefit from the activity the better.)
- If educationally beneficial, we consider re-granting.
- We will only consider funding food that is an integral part of the grant activity.
- We only accept online grant applications.
- For grants involving field trips, please check with your principal to ensure dates do not conflict with testing. Include dates and price per ticket admission.
- We will fund grants for transportation
- Please provide actual terms before using acronyms in the application.
Important Information for Outdoor Installations:
Prior to applying for an outdoor item you must receive written permission from Robert Palmer in Plant Services. Please email Robert at Robert.Palmer@westhartfordct.gov with a description of your grant proposal. Please allow 2 weeks for Robert to respond.
Important Information for Technology:
If you are applying for a technology grant, please contact Jared Morin at email@example.com to ensure that your technology is not being funded by the district or school, to confirm pricing and to ensure that the appropriate technology will support your goals. Please place "FWHPS Grant Inquiry" in the subject line and include the following information in your email to Jared.
1. The specific technology for which you are applying
2. How the technology will be used to support your goals
3. Grade levels using technology.
Please allow 2 weeks for Jared to respond with the appropriate specs including pricing.
A few "Do Not" reminders:
- Do NOT include the name of school or teacher within the body or title of the application. The grant will automatically be denied if these are included anywhere as grants are read on a blind basis.
- Do NOT request for more than the maximum funding allowed that does not indicate a secondary source of funding. (Secondary sources must be confirmed prior to submitting the application.)
- Do NOT request refreshments
- Do NOT request in-service or professional developement fees or teacher coverage or compensation.
- Do NOT request furniture. All furniture requests must go through your school budget process.
- Do NOT apply for more than 3 grants.
Deadline and Final Details
- Applications must be received online no later than Tuesday, April 3, 2018, at 11:59pm.
- Decisions will be voted on by the Foundation Board of Directors in May. Teachers will be notified in June 2018. Prior to publicly awarding any funds, principals will be notified that such awards have been approved. Directors of the Foundation will present awards in the Fall of 2018. Awards will be made in accordance with Board of Education policies. Funds will be available after September 1, 2018.
- If your grant application is approved, you must submit a Final Report to the Foundation at the completion of the project. Final Report forms are available on our website at www.fwhps.org and are due by June 3, 2019.
- Teachers are asked to notify the Foundation when a project is taking place so that board members and donors may attend. The Foundation requests that any report about a grant sponsored activity, either in school newsletters or newspaper publications recognize the efforts of the Foundation.
- Prior to making any changes to your orginal grant proposal, you must receive approval in writing by the Foundation or risk loss of funding. Changes such as project, teacher, venue, cost, artist, etc., must receive approval.
- If the execution of the grant sponsored activity is not possible, you must contact the Foundation office as soon as possible.
- If for any reason an applicant is unable to administer the grant, the principal or a designee is asked to administer it and to notify the Foundation.
- Ownership of all grant materials including technology resides with the West Hartford Public Schools. If a grant recipient transfers to another school within the district, it will be the principal’s decision to keep the equipment or send it to the new school. If a teacher is no longer employed by the WHPS, the equipment will remain in the school under the direction of the media specialist.
Please contact the Foundation:
- Telephone: 860-561-8755
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
OR Distribution Co-Chairs
- Sherry Feinglass at email@example.com, cell # 860-836-1970
- Judie Goldenthal at firstname.lastname@example.org, cell # 860-508-4598